Thursday, 4 February 2016

Top 5 Recent Sydney Food Adventures

I feel like I haven't featured food nearly as much as I'd like to on my blog. I've recently been trying out some new restaurants and cafes around Sydney and here are some mouth watering photos and a mini review of each place. These are my favourites so far and they're in no particular order.

Recent Sydney Food Adventures Two Good Eggs Surry Hills Eggs Benedict
Eggs Benedict at Two Good Eggs, Surry Hills
Two Good Eggs in Surry Hills has always been one of my favourites. I tend to get the same thing every time I'm here but I decided to branch out and try the Eggs Benedict and I was not disappointed. As usual, the eggs were cooked to perfection and the presentation was beautiful. Unfortunately the tomate wasn't as great and seemed a little watered down. The staff were also a little slow and unresponsive when we needed help - they seemed to just ignore us.  I love eggs benedict so I've been searching the net for some good recipes to try at home. Hollandaise sauce seems to be the tricky part but I guess I can buy the bottled ones if I get lazy. 

Luyu and Yum Yum Hedgehog Buns Sydney
Manga Hedgehog Buns at Luyu and Yum Yum, Newtown
Luyu and Yum Yum Snow White Rabbit Buns Sydney Asian Newtown
Snow White Rabbit Dumplings at Luyu and Yum Yum, Newtown
I first noticed Luyu and Yum Yum on Instagram and I became incredibly interested in their modern Chinese with a twist. It's located in Newtown and is quite close to where I work so I decided to pop over with a colleague during the lunch break. I think I went with a an idea of which dumplings I would order. Here's what we ended up ordering!

Luyu and Yum Yum Starburst Dumplings Newtown Sydney
Starburst Dumplings at Luyu and Yum Yum, Newtown
  • Starburst Dumpings (4 pieces) - Really reminded me of the rainbow Din Tai Fung dumplings. Nothing too special in my opinion. The meat wasn't as juicy as expected. 
  • Snow White (rabbit) dumplings (3 pieces) - This is what drove me to try Luyu and Yum Yum! They're absolutely adorable but taste quite average. The filling only includes one tiny shrimp and a whole lot of veges so I didn't think it was worth it. 
  • Manga Hedgehog dumpling (3 pieces) - BEST! I'm a huge mushroom, fungi and carrot bun fan and that's exactly what this baby tastes like. The little spines are also so crunch and the presentation is just as nice as the rabbits though I didn't get the best photo of them. Would highly recommend. We actually ordered another 4 pieces.
  • Duck pancakes (4 pieces) - The pancake layer was quite dry. The duck was very juicy but it was a very small piece and it kept rolling out of the pancake for me. 
  • Fried rice - Literally just fried rice. My friend quite enjoyed the flavours but I thought it was quite average. Rice was very soft though so bonus points for that. 
  • Grecian Garden Mocktail - Apparently one of their most popular drinks. Mocktails for $9 didn't really seem that good of a deal and I was hoping for a stronger lychee hit. Definitely just tastes like mint and watered down lychee.  
Not going to lie though - it's really quite expensive for chinese food. Besides the Hedgehog dumplings, everything was average. Upgrading to 4 dumplings a dish also costs an extra $4.50 so be careful of the hidden costs. You can't really get away with ordering little as the servings are quite small and you definitely won't be filled up by the dumplings. I'd recommend trying a few dumpling dishes and then maybe a main. Still a good experience though. 

Adriano Zumbarons Macarons
Assorted Macarons at Adriano Zumbos, Sydney
Adriano Zumbarons QVB Macarons Delicious 2016 Sydney
Assorted Adriano Zumbarons, Sydney
Adriano Zumbarons! A friend and I decided to get the same flavours so we got the 12 pack instead of 6 each as it was a little cheaper. It was still $33 for a dozen which is roughly $2.75 each. These sell for $2.80 - $3 each so the savings aren't that great. I think the flavours going from left to right are - Pavlova, Lamington, Nutella, Salted Caramel, Cookies and Cream, Creamy Salted Caramel. The creamy salted caramel filling was quite viscous and it kind of leaked around the container. I really enjoyed the regular Salted Caramel and the Lamington ones which were Australia Day specials! I do enjoy MakMak macarons more than these though as they seemed to break quite easily and the fillings were a little weak for my tastes. 

 Sparqling Pizza and Grill Burwood BBQ Chicken Pizza
BBQ Chicken Woodfire Pizza at SparQling Pizza and Grill, Burwood
 Sparqling Pizza and Grill Chicken Parmigiana
Chicken Parmigiana at SparQling Pizza and Grill, Burwood
SparQling Pizza and Grill. Got my eyebrows threaded at my favourite place in Flemington with a couple of friends. Since there isn't much to do there, we decided to head to Burwood for some shopping and lunch. Both of them have eaten at the other SparQling before but that one served more Mediterranean food. We shared the BBQ Chicken Pizza and the Chicken Parmigiana. The chef was also super nice and let us try a new Tiramisu cake as a bonus! All the dishes were super delicious though the pizza had a little too much sauce. The chips were also cooked to perfection and the atmosphere was great!

Pan Fried Pork and Chive Dumplings at Chinese Noodle Restaurant, Haymarket

Steamed Pork Buns at Chinese Noodle Restaurant, Haymarket
Chinese Noodle Restaurant. This place is really a hidden gem within the Sydney Haymarket area. It's tucked away next to Menya Noodle Bar and doesn't really have the most aesthetically pleasing decor nor dishes. However, the food is always jam packed with great traditional flavours and don't dent the wallet too much. We ordered the Pan Fried Pork and Chive Dumplings (12 for $9.80) and the Steamed Pork Buns (10 for $9.80) This place has pretty decent soupy buns (which I normally get) but the skins tend to be a little thin so you have to be careful with them. I loved the dumplings as they're quite large compared to regular ones and the skins are delicious when hot.

That wraps up the ones that were my best eats of so far this year! I've still got plenty more food places that I'd love to visit so follow my blog if you're interested in more delicious places to eat at this year! Let me know what your favourite spots are in the comments below as I'm always keen for a new place to eat at :)

8 comments:

  1. Yummm the eggs benedict looks delish!! I definitely want to visit Sydney for the food one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even like macarons, but the Nutella & lamington ones are making me drool! Might have to check out that SparQling place the next time I'm in Burwood, that parmy looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow those dumplings look amazing! I'll have to try them the next time I'm in Sydney.

    PS, when I clicked on the link you left on my blog (in the comments) it actually didn't work, I had to type your blog into the URL and search manually. Just thought I'd let you know! :)

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. Everything looks incredible!! xx

    Gemma | missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macaroons are a definite weakness for me! I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this all looks so good, drooling over those macarons!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a Sydney trip coming up and now I know where to visit! I would have forgotten about Adriano Zumbo's, too. Awesome post and beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Aimee! As a Sydneysider, this gives me an excuse to visit these places. I have to admit, the dumplings from Haymarket have my mouth watering. On my to visit list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)