Thursday, 25 February 2016

Review: Models Prefer Lipstick in Vintage Drop


A couple of months ago, the whole blogosphere was been raving about the Models Prefer Soft Touch Powders, I decided to head out to my local Priceline to pick one of those gorgeous dupes up. Unfortunately they were all sold out of them so I decided to have a little play around with the Models Prefer samples. What caught my eye was their lipstick range. I haven't heard much about this range before but at $10 a pop they're definitely affordable enough to pick up. I ended up selecting the shade Vintage Drop, which is a gorgeous neutral red shade. I'm not really a bold red lippie girl but I think I'd like to be.


 Like the name suggests, the shade reminds me of a very mid century pin up girl look which I adore. I wore this to a retro themed party and I received so many compliments on it! The packaging is very angular and has a little knob to release the lipstick tube out which made it easy to carry around. I love playing with the knob as the clicking sound of a secure lippie makes me feel so happy! 

Lasting time on Vintage Drop was average. It lasted around 3 hours on my lips before it started fading. Vintage Drop is quite comfortable to wear as it is creamy and doesn't dry my lips out. It's not particularly lightweight but it doesn't feel as heavy as some other vibrant lipsticks. Whilst the lipstick felt very creamy and moisturising, it also felt a little too soft and waxy and it doesn't seem to set very well. It's quite prone to smudging and you do have to be careful when eating or drinking as it will leave marks everywhere. It also leaves a red tint on your lips even after removing which I actually really liked. 

Top: Australis Velourlips in NY-Cee
Bottom: Models Prefer Lipstick in Vintage Drop
Here's a quick swatch and comparison in natural daylight. I've compared it to the Australis Velourlips in NY-CEE as this range costs the same as the Models Prefer lipsticks and is also readily available at Priceline. As you can see, NY-CEE is a more vibrant blue-toned red that has a semi-matte to matte finish. Vintage Drop is a deeper and more neutral red that has a satin finish. Lasting power wise, I'd rather use NY-CEE as it can easily last a whole day and doesn't smudge! Downside is that it's quite drying and not the most comfortable lipstick to wear. Occasionally I do like using Vintage Drop but more of as a tint rather than a lipstick. I found that it was very comfortable as a tint, didn't smudge and seemed to last much longer than a couple of hours. 

Overall, I was a little disappointed in the formula of Vintage Drop but the colour is absolutely stunning. It's a shame that it isn't as long wearing as other drugstore lipsticks. Despite this, I think Vintage Drop would be a great cheapy every day red lipstick. I wouldn't really wear it to a formal event again just because it was a little messy and it didn't last the whole night when I was eating and drinking. 

Price and Availability: $9.95 at Pricelines around Australia as well as on their website. 

Repurchase: Maybe in another shade

Have you tried out the Models Prefer Lipsticks? Let me know in the comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)