Saturday, 9 January 2016

Review: Laneige Water Sleeping Pack_EX

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask review
Today I'm going to be reviewing one of my favourite Korean skincare products which is the Laneige Water Sleeping Pack_EX. They renamed (Water Sleeping Mask) and repackaged the product mid last year so the packaging that I have is a little different to the ones that are available now but the product inside is still the same. It's one of their best selling products and I've noticed that Laneige and other Korean products have slowly begun spreading to the Western beauty world too. 


Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask review

I first received this as a sample tub in the Laneige Essential Care Trial Set that was given to me by a close friend. I had no idea what this brand was or where it came from but the cute blue themed packaging looked promising. I ended up enjoying their products so much that I went on to buy the regular sized versions of most of the products. 

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask review

So what exactly is a sleeping mask? It's basically just a fancy name for a night gel that attempts to nourish your skin's natural moisture barrier and to boost hydration during the night when your skin is more permeable. That way, you can wake up with brighter and more hydrated skin. It's only supposed to be used once or twice a week, which I like as I don't really have time for a complex night routine every day. It's also much easier to use than sheet masks or masks that require drying and washing off. All you need to do is slap on some sleeping pack, get a good nights rest and wake up and feel the effects - simple right? 

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask gel

The gel itself has a sweet, floral scent that I find quite pleasant. All Laneige products seem to be florally fragranced but I've never found their scents to be overpowering or unpleasant. Apparently the Sleeping Pack "SleepScent" is unique as it was specifically designed to help people relax their mind and body for a good nights rest. The fragrance comes from various essential oils which include ylang ylang, sandalwood, rose and orange flower. Those who have sensitive skin should be a bit careful when using this sleeping pack as the fragrance ingredients might cause skin irritation and/or redness. My skin is sensitive and I've also got eczema and it seems to behave quite well with this sleeping pack. 

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask swatch

If you haven't used it before, you'll find that Water Sleeping Packs have a very interesting texture. It's a light blue tinted gel that looks quite thick but becomes more watery as you blend it out. It has a cooling sensation when applied. The closest product, in terms of texture and feel similarity, would be Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief, which I will compare later in the post. Using the product is quite simple and self explanatory. It's supposed to be used after essence (or any moisturiser) and only a small amount is needed.

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask swatch
Just to be a bit more hygienic, Laneige includes a small spatula spoon that can be used to scoop out just enough product to cover your face. They also include a small booklet of facts and diagrams to ease you into the process. I always notice a cooling sensation that lasts a couple of minutes once the sleeping pack is applied. It's incredibly lightweight and I hardly notice that its presence on my face. It does feel a little tacky for a couple of minutes whilst it absorbs in but doesn't leave any residue and it doesn't need to be washed off until the morning. You can see in the photo that blending the product leaves a nice lightweight sheen. It takes around 5-10 minutes for the product to be absorbed but you can basically just hit the bed the instant you put it on.

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack/mask swatch

I've been using this product for a couple of years now and I have to say that it's one of my favourites to use when my skin is feeling dry or looking dull. I say "feeling dry" instead of actual dry because I don't think the product really moisturises that much. It certainly helps in locking in moisture, say from an essence or a night cream that I use earlier, but I don't believe the Sleeping Pack by itself offers much moisture. Most of the time, I wake up with brighter and radiant skin than the night before and it also gives it a healthy glow. I don't use this religiously but I do try to use it once a week if I can. I've been using the 80ml jar for over 1.5 years and I still haven't finished it as you only need a tiny amount each time and you don't need to use it often to get decent results. I tried using it for a couple of days consecutively and my skin looked amazing the first day, good the second day and decent for the third day. I guess your face can only get so bright/hydrated as the effects do seem to plateau out after a while and aren't long lasting.

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack vs Clinique Moisture Surge

Comparison to Clinique: These are the times that I wish I could create a table on blogger but alas I cannot. Clinique's Moisture Surge has the same consistency and feel as the Water Sleeping Pack but is less stickier, pink tinted and absorbs faster into the skin. What you should remember is that despite their similarities in texture, they are marketed and produced as different products. Clinique's is designed to be a day cream that can be used daily whereas Laneige's is designed to be a weekly mask. Like all their products, the Clinique one is fragrance free so I wouldn't expect many people to have reactions to it. Price wise, Clinique is obviously the more expensive offering at $60AUD for a 50ml jar whilst Laneige offers the Sleeping Pack at approx $35AUD for a 80ml jar. Laneige also offers a mini 20ml jar for approx $8AUD for those who would prefer to sample it before committing to the bigger jar. 

I find that Moisture Surge moisturises much better than Water Sleeping Pack by itself and is my choice of moisturiser for winter day time use when my skin is behaving. Despite my laziness when it comes to my night time routine, I find that I am still drawn to the Water Sleeping Pack every once in a while if I'm busy. Water Sleeping Pack is not a product I couldn't live without but I do love what it does for my skin as well as the sleep aromatherapy it offers. Overall, I think that Water Sleeping Pack is quite a bargain for what it offers and it's difficult to find other products similar to it at that price point. It might not work as great as some other face masks, but it does do a great job and saves me time as well. I would recommend this to people who have normal to dry skin, enjoys sweet scents and likes to save time in their skincare routine. 

Price and Availability: I ordered my first full size one from Ebay for about ~$35 including shipping. I've now discovered that Sasa.com.au also sells them for around ~$35 and I would highly recommend purchasing from them as they seem like a more established store. Strawberrynet sells them for around $47. If you want a bricks and mortar store, there's a Korean beauty store in Chinatown Sydney that sells it but their prices are quite high (~$55 if I remember correctly).

Repurchase: Already have! 

Have you tried any Laneige products or are interested in a couple? Let me know in the comments below :) 

PS- Check out fabulousandfunlife for the first link up party of 2016!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds Great!
    I picked up some Laneige setting powder in Singapore last year.
    I'm definitely keen to try more.

    P.S I've used sasa before (about 2 years ago), no issues, would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Sasa recently too! Not for Laneige but for other products and I've no issues either :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this brand, but have been thinking of trying a sleeping mask. This sounds lovely! I love reading about products/brands from other countries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sleeping mask is definitely great for those who are busy! Laneige caters to so many different skin types so you'll find something you like from their range :)

      Delete
  3. I've tried their water bank gel cream and liked it. I really wanted to try this sleeping mask though. I had no idea it wasn't for nightly use until i read your post :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used some sample packs of this product before! Wonder if I still have em..

    The Face Shop also has something like it, perhaps you're right. Your skin can only be /so/ hydrated so it'd be better to use it as a weekly mask. I remember using TFS' sleeping mask consistently with hopes, haha.

    Thanks for the post -- reminds me to go find that TSF' mask that I've abandoned yonks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried any products from laneige, all their stuff sounds so fancy! I have been iffy about trying sleeping masks because I like to bury my face in my blanket and pillows, good to know that it absorbs quickly :)

    http://lilynotlouise.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about Korean beauty products! I'd love to try some! I might look into getting the sample size one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar product from a different Korean brand but have yet to try it! Think I might have to give it a go and see how I like it! xx

    Jasmine / sweetaholic-beauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I really like the sound of this - it sounds ideal for my skin xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)