Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Review: Bourjois Delice de Poudre Duo (Bronzing powder + Highlighter)

Last year, I spotted this highlighting and contouring duo on sale at ASOS so I snapped it up immediately. I've heard many raves about it from Zoella but I've never really considered purchasing it as it's a little difficult to get in Australia. The Bourjois Delice de Poudre Duo was such an exciting purchase as contouring and highlighting have become so mainstream that even smaller brands like Bourjois are creating affordable duo palettes for consumers.


The duo is contained in a small and slim cardboard packaging that has a magnetic closure that makes a very satisfying clasping sound. The packaging opens in a book format, with the left side containing instructions in both French and English. The right side is the product - cutely made to look like and smell like a delicious block of chocolate. Both the contour and highlighting powders have the brand name pressed into it but it seems to wear out quite quickly. I've heavily swatched both the contour and highlighting powders and this is shown in natural lighting. As you can see, the powders are both decently pigmented and are quite buildable depending on your preferences. 


The contour shade leans quite warm and I think that the orange undertone may not be that suitable for those who are quite pale. I think that it would work best on those who are of a light to medium warm skintone range. The contour shade is surprisingly matte which is rare to find in a drugstore bronzer. If compared to Benefit's Hoola Bronzer, Bourjois' offering appears to be much more pigmented and orange. However, once blended, they both look lovely on my complexion. I think that this bronzer is most comparable to the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer as it smells and swatches quite similarly. I wouldn't say that they're dupes as Chocolate Soleil is much more pigmented, matte and leans a little more neutral but both are great contouring powders to have. 

The highlighting shade is gorgeous and wearable for every day purposes. I would describe it as a healthy pearl shimmer that doesn't contain any glitter and a natural shimmer. If you're looking for a dramatic glamorous highlight, products such as The Balm's Mary Lou Manizer, NARS' Albatross and Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors are for you. Boujois appears to be quite dull in comparison to the aforementioned products but I would say that this is all part of it's design and purpose - to be an everyday no-fuss product rather than one that is used for a more glammed up occasion. This is a highlight that I love as I could incorporate it and use it every day without the fear of looking like a disco ball.  


One complaint I do have about the product is how weak the packaging is. I dropped the closed palette on my wooden floors which seems to have shaken the pan of product out of the packaging. There were no cracks or breakage of the powders, which was a huge relief. Whilst this means that you have to be careful with the product, it also means that de-potting the duo will be quite simple and won't result in any chipped corners of the powder. Overall, I do love this product very much and I do use this product when I want to sculpt and highlight during the day. It's a very good product for it's price and would be a great addition for those who are new to the world of contouring and highlighting.

Price and Availability: $17 from ASOS or other online stores. The bronzer by itself is available to purchase at Priceline for around $24.

Repurchase: No - but only because I don't think I will finish this. 

3 comments:

  1. I love bourjois products and this looks straight up lovely, i'm definitely going to be picking it up.

    http://www.themakeupaficionado.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of good things about Bourjois products (this one especially and the bronzer) but I'm just not a huge fan of their packaging. It's definitely not good to hear that you thought the packaging was weak as well, wish they'd improve that!

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been lusting after this for a longest time, toobad we can get it n usa :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)