Monday, 2 November 2015

Rimmel London Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara + Update

As everyone knows, I was home in Sydney for the winter holidays this year. This gave me a chance to clean up my room and to look through my drawers and to clear out some stuff since I had the time to do so. I ended up unearthing some older makeup that I hadn't used or forgotten about that was pretty exciting. Part of my findings was a few unopened tubes of the Rimmel London Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara. I think I might purchased one and then won the others from a Rimmel giveaway but I hadn't actually taken the time to use and try them out. 

Rimmel London Mascara Dramatic Lashes Swatch
According to Rimmel, this is a mascara that seeks to recreate the lovely 60s inspired thick lash look though the hourglass shaped brush and the retro black and white tube. I love vintage looks and my eyelashes lack volume (and length) so this seemed to be the perfect mascara for me. But was it???
Hourglass Brush, Swatch
I was originally a bit hesitant to use the brush as it is quite large (compared to my eye) and I was quite worried that it wouldn't end up coating my middle lashes. Getting mascara all over my eyelid was also a concern considering how large the brush is. Applying the first layer of mascara already gave me an indication of how much I wouldn't like this mascara. The formula is quite wet and heavy. It definitely built volume on my eyelashes but they would also immediately droop after. 

I tried using a regular disposable mascara wand (the straight bristled type) to apply the mascara to see if it would work better. And it does! It definitely doesn't weigh down my lashes as much and the mascara seems to spread pretty evenly through my lashes. I know the point of the brush is to add more volume/mascara onto the ends of the eye but it just seems messy to me. I find that the mascara is more bearable when I use a separate wand but I'd ever grow to love it. 

Price and Availability: $16.95 at Priceline, Chemist Warehouse, Kmart or Target, 

Repurchase: No

PS - I'm currently buckling down and getting ready for the spectacular ride that is known as final exams! I'm super keen to pass this semester so I've been living in my favourite spot at the library for the past 3 days. I've been under the weather for the past week so hopefully I haven't lost too much studying time there. Not desperate enough to start pulling some early morning hours but I think it's going to happen soon. I've recently received a summer research scholarship so I've been a little preoccupied with getting all my paperwork ready and preparing for it. 

I also had a sudden burst of desperation 3 weeks ago when I wasn't sure if I'd have any work to do over the holidays which resulted in me applying for an insane number of Christmas Casual jobs over the holidays. I've gotten interviews to a fair few of them but I guess I'll probably be only going to the ones that will let me interview over the phone or are a little more flexible with the interviewing time. I know all of this doesn't really excuse me from not blogging for almost three consecutive weeks but my beauty life has been pretty slow recently. I have made some nice online clothing hauls that I might show and a few interesting AliExpress products that I happened to pick up during the mega-sale a few weeks ago. 

PPS- Check out fabulousandfunlife for an awesome link up party :)

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your finals!! I agree re massive mascara wands, I only use two natural brands but I read so many blog reviews of drugstore mascara where the wand looks as big as a toothbrush! Lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your finals!! I agree re massive mascara wands, I only use two natural brands but I read so many blog reviews of drugstore mascara where the wand looks as big as a toothbrush! Lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your final exams and getting a casual Christmas job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best for your final exams! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)