Sunday, 16 August 2015

I Heart Drugstore Makeup Tag!

I heart drugstore makeup tag bourjois, elf, maybelline, revlon, lipstick, foundation, eyeliner, eyebrows, brushes, real techniques

As much as I love higher end makeup, it's not really something that I can continue to purchase every time I need a new product. After all I'm just a student and there are so many other things that demand my wallet's attention too - like rent and food. It's definitely a luxury that I'm willing to splurge on and I can totally understand that not everyone is willing to drop $60 on a highlighter (*guilty look*). I recently saw Panda do this tag and it looked so fun so I decided to do it too! I'm a firm believer that you can get great quality products at the drugstore so lets get into it :)

1. What is your favourite drugstore makeup brand?

I heart makeup tag elf cosmetics brushes eyeshadow eye primer

I actually have two that I like and that would be Maybelline New York and ELF Cosmetics. I do prefer Maybelline more than ELF but Maybelline products tend to be a bit pricier than ELF ones, especially if you decide to purchase ELF online. Maybelline is better as an all rounder as I usually like most of their products. I love Maybelline for foundations, concealers, powders, lip products and eyeliners whereas I like ELF for brushes (get the studio line rather than the basic ones), highlighers/blush, eyeliner, eyelid primer and the eyebrow kit. 

2. What are your favourite face, cheek and lip products?


I heart makeup tag australis fresh and flawless foundation powder

My favourite face product is the Australis Fresh and Flawless Pressed Powder in the shade Deep Natural. Many youtubers and bloggers like to think of it as a dupe for the MAC Studio Fix Powder. I find that it doesn't seem to last as long as Studio Fix and the coverage is a tad lighter than Studio Fix. However, Studio Fix broke me out the last time I used it and this Australis one hasn't so I'm definitely going for this one. Best for those who want a fuller coverage foundation with a matte look. 

I heart makeup tag real techniques brushes stippling expert face brush

My favourite cheek products would have to be the Real Techniques Stippling Brush and the Expert Face Brush. I use both of these brushes to apply highlighter and concealer and I love them both. The Stippling brush is great for super glittery highlighters or super dark contours as it really sheers out the product and gives a more natural and blended look. The Expert Face brush is better for products that  really need you to get in there and apply it more heavily handed. It's so useful for blushes and bronzers that lack coverage.The Expert Face brush is also great for foundation and concealer application. A drugstore bronzer and highlighter that I love is the Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder and Highlighter.

revlon color burst lip butters sweet tart sorbet wild watermelon

My favourite lip products are the Revlon Lip Butters! These are just so moisturising and comfortable on my lips so I tend to use them every day. They're great for all year round and the colour range is just brilliant! My favourite shades are Sorbet, Sweet Tart and Wild Watermelon. They don't last as long as other lipsticks but I find that they're easy to carry around and to reapply. Unfortunately they've been discontinued in Australia but I've seen so many of them being sold at Cosmetics Fragrance Direct on Level 2 of Market City in Sydney. You can also order them online on Amazon or Ebay. 

3. What is your least favourite product?


savvy by db eyeliner blue

Drugstore products can sometimes be a hit or miss for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's just that the shades are too limiting or the product is too dry/wet/uncomfortable to use. And sometimes it's just a product that really doesn't work with you. My least favourite product would have to be this Savvy by Designer Brands Pencil Eyeliner in Electric Blue. The formulation of this pencil is quite dry and really hurt as I tried to apply it to my waterline. I picked this up a few years ago after watching a Spring Eyeliner tutorial where they used blue under the eye to open it up. Sure it's a pretty look, but it just wasn't something that worked on me and it looked terrible. Needless to say, I've been avoiding blue eyeliner since. 

4. What is the best makeup bargain?

Daiso Ellefar Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
This isn't strictly a drugstore product as you can't pick it up for Priceline or a chemist but I consider it drugstore as it fits into the price range. My best "drugstore" bargain product is the Daiso Magical Eyeliner in Black. It's a brush tipped dip-in-a-pot liquid eyeliner that claims to be waterproof (it isn't). Despite that, it really ticks a lot of my boxes for an eyeliner. It's highly pigmented and the brush allows you to draw lines of varying thickness. It seems to last a reasonable day for me (10 hours +) but it does fade a little by the end of the day. It's super easy to remove and that's why it will always have a place in my heart (and on my drugstore favourites list!). 

5. What is your favourite underdog product? (Something you love that often gets overlooked)

Natio Mechanical Long Lasting Eyeliner Brown

Something that doesn't really get talked about or hyped up a lot are pencil eyeliners. I can understand why as they're not really known to last, can tend to smudge a lot and can be a bother to sharpen. The Natio Mechanical Long Lasting Eyeliner in Brown has been a new favourite for me ever since I got into brown eyeliner. It's an auto pencil which means that all you have to do is twist for the eyeliner to come out. I love using this to line my lower lash line as it looks more like a shadow and isn't as noticeable when it smudges. It's also great for lining the upper lash line as it looks so natural. The other end of the liner is a sharpener and a small sponge smudger brush. 

6. A drugstore product that is overpriced?

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation

To be honest, I really wanted to just list out all the products at Priceline as all Australian makeup is inherently overpriced compared to our overseas counterparts. The one product that I think is overpriced is the Bourjois Health Mix Foundation. It retails for $32 AUD which I find is quite overpriced as it's sold for half the price overseas. I also think that it's not as great as what everyone says and the lasting power and coverage of this foundation is not up to scratch for me. It feels nicer than using say a BYS foundation etc but I don't think it should cost so much.  

7. Show your best drugstore dupe(s)!!

Nars creamy concealer dupe drugstore
My best drugstore dupe would be the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer as a dupe for the NARS Creamy Concealer. They're both amazing concealers and whilst I do prefer Creamy Concealer more, the Maybelline one is definitely a repurchase product for me. It has pretty good coverage and it has a doe foot applicator which is my favourite applicator for concealers. It does crease a little but I don't tend to use too much of it (unless I'm using it for foundation). Shade wise, Maybelline actually suits me more. I'm in the shade Sand which is pretty much a spot on match for me. Creamy Concealer in Custard is actually slightly darker than me but the shades lighter (Honey and Vanilla) are the wrong undertones for me. 

8. A drugstore product that isn't worth the hype?

Revlon Color Burst Matte Lip Balm Crayon Elusive Unapologetic

I remember the Youtube hype when Revlon first came out with the Colourburst Matte Balms in a whopping 10 different shades! Almost all the beauty Youtubers had all the colours and the colour range was just so good that there was a colour that seemed to suit everyone. Matte lip products were rarely found at the drugstore level back then so this lip crayon was in high demand. I have the shades Elusive and Unapologetic. Both are great shades and I do like how matte they are. The problem I have with these lipsticks are that they tend to cling onto skin even after I've exfoliated and moisturised my lips. The minty smell makes me a bit nauseous and I don't like how my lips tingle after applying it on. Not everyone has had these problems and many love them so to each their own.  

Phew this post turned out to be much longer than expected! What are your favourite drugstore brands and products? Let me know in the comments below! Feel free to tag yourself if you're interested in doing this tag :)

PS- Check out fabulousandfunlife for an awesome link up party :)

21 comments:

  1. I totally agree that drugstore products in general are just as good as high-end. My favourite drugstore brand would definitely be Maybelline! I also love the Australis Fresh & Flawless powder but they've changed the packaging and it is way lower quality now and mine always breaks. I do love that powder though! I found you through the Monday Link Up Party! x

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm pretty lucky since I stocked up on a few of the old Australis powders before they got changed! I haven't tried the new one yet but I was hoping it'd be just as good

      Delete
  2. Loved so many of your picks!!! This looks like a fun tag...I might do it myself!! I love your overview of each product- very helpfu!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's definitely a great tag to try if you have the time for it! It helped me rediscover a few drugstore favourites that I had forgotten about :)

      Delete
  3. Great Post!
    I love finding products I can save on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading your post! Tags can be such a fun read xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! Tags are great as they're fun to write and read! :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting post! I agree on your pick of Maybelline and I also love Rimmel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I quite like Rimmel as well but I don't think I've tried enough of their products to make a judgement!

      Delete
  6. YESSSS revlon lip butters! What a fun looking tag :D I'm sad I didn't read this before the Maybelline 50% off sale because I've been on the market for a new liquid concealer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so disappointed that they've been discontinued as they're just amazing! You should try this tag too if you have the time. And I would highly recommend you pick up a Fit Me Concealer just for future use :)

      Delete
  7. Yaaayyy I love your post! Soo many great products that I haven't tried before that I'm so tempted to go out and get now, especially that Daiso eyeliner, it looks like a great deal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a review up for the Daiso eyeliner soon so keep an eye out for that! It's only $2.80 after all so there's not much to lose by picking it up :)

      Delete
  8. I agree! Most high end products I end up buying once and try to use it real slow haha Although I do work full time, I still can't justify spending all my money on makeup. I love Real Techniques but I haven't tried the Stippling Brush and Expert Face Brush. I'll pick it up next time I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely try to savour my high end makeup! Especially ones that are limited edition! The Expert Face Brush is so versatile so I highly recommend picking it up. Real Techniques brushes might also be cheaper online at iHerb.com :)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading about all of these products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I enjoyed writing about these products as well :)

      Delete
  10. Great post! I can't believe how expensive make up is AU!! Are there any good Australian-specific brands you can buy instead?
    Your answers got me thinking so much about my own make-up collection that I can't resist, I'm tagging myself to do this too!! :)
    Thanks Yip!
    Bobbyanne
    xxxx
    PromisingBeauty.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could not agree more with you on that Real Techniques brushes! They are just so so so good aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently got some Real Techniques brushes and I love them. Best ones Ive tried so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently got some Real Techniques brushes and I love them. Best ones Ive tried so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)