Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Review: Daiso Colourful Eyeshadow

Yet another day of almost doing nothing at work. Guess I'll just write another review hehe. So when I was picking up 5 backups of my trusty Daiso Liquid Eyeliner (review coming soon!) I noticed that Daiso had recently expanded their eyeshadow section. There were so many palettes with so many colours at the affordable price of $2.80 so I decided to try one out. I went with a Ellefar Colorful Eyeshadow in Brown which is a lovely pink and brown neutral palette.

Daiso Japan Colourful Eyeshadow Quad White Pink Brown Gold Shimmer

How cute is the packaging?! I think it definitely looks more expensive than it actually is which is always nice to see. The lid is half gold half transparent and the gold is reflective which explains the pink shirt in the corner of the photo haha. The packaging is hard plastic which unfortunately scratched when I put my keys in my makeup bag. The lid closes with a nice click so I don't think the packaging is too flimsy. Definitely better than Essence eyeshadow quads. I took this palette with me on my road trips as it's quite convenient to travel with.

Daiso Colourful Eyeshadow Quad White Pink Brown Gold Shimmer

I've always been a little hesitant in buying extremely cheap makeup so before purchasing, I had a look at the ingredient list (thankfully it's in English!) and nothing seemed particularly harmful there. From memory, the first few ingredients were talc and mica which isn't really anything surprising considering most low end eyeshadows/powders tend to contain talc as the first ingredient. Since then I've thrown away the ingredients card but I think it also contained some corn starch (please check for yourself as I may be incorrect).  

All the shades in the palette are shimmers but the dark brown has less shimmer than the rest of the shades and the pink has more shimmer than the rest of the shades. This is actually perfect for me as I prefer my lighter eyeshadows to be shimmery and my darker eyeshadows to be matte. I think this palette is pretty versatile as they're all colours I could use every day. The gold isn't really my kind of colour but when sheered out over the white it gives a lovely sunlit glow to the eyes!

Daiso Japan Swatches Colourful Eyeshadow Quad White Pink Brown Gold Shimmer

The pigmentation of the eyeshadows is pretty amazing for the price! I was half expecting the shadows to not work but I'm quite pleased that they have. The shadows are on the powdery side and building up the intensity for the pink shade can sometimes be a bit difficult. Fallout tends to happen a lot with the gold shade but I haven't experienced much with the other shades. Longevity of the shadows isn't too good as they are powdery after all.

I tried using Too Faced Shadow Insurance and ELF Eyelid Primer and the shadows lasted a lot longer as they get to have a stickier base to hold onto. Shadow Insurance definitely helped the eyeshadows survive the Australian summer weather as well as a full day of work so I'll definitely be repurchasing that once I run out. ELF Eyelid Primer also worked pretty well with these eyeshadows but they didn't last as long. Still I'm not too concerned as this palette + ELF Eyelid Primer costs only around $6 which is barely a quad at Priceline. 

Overall this was a surprisingly pleasant experience with Daiso eyeshadows. I don't think I'll purchase any more as I didn't really like the colours of the other palettes but I'll still keep an open eye out for them. 

Repurchase: Maybe if I hit pan on it. There's so many other palettes I want to try but this one is definitely worth the money. 

Price and Availability: $2.80 at Daiso stores. I've noticed that not every Daiso sells the same stock. I've seen it at Parramatta and the Sydney store on George Street.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny because I was literally just as Daiso yesterday with mum and she was admiring some of the colours...we put it back because we were afraid to try it!

    Great review and I'm pleasantly surprised at the pigmentation...very impressive indeed! I'll have to look out for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, it looks super high end too! I've only tried a few beauty things when Daiso first opened in Australia, but I may have to try a few more now that they've extended their range! xx
    Sweetaholic Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL next time I'm at Daiso I'm going to look at their eyeshadows too!

    Any excuse to buy more Daiso stuff ^__^

    DO MORE OF THESE POSTS PLEASE! :D

    Sounds like you really know your Daiso makeup! And I'm intrigued about this mystical liquid eyeliner too now...

    http://pynkbunny.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)