Sunday, 11 January 2015

Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner VS MAC Fluidline

Phew last week was exhausting! I've recently started working full time in the holiday (like a real adult!) and I've discovered that it's definitely not all fun and games. I like that it does keep me quite busy which really nice for someone like me. I've realised that it's also a nuisance sometimes eg - not being able to call tech support because it's too late when I get home or not being able to visit the bank because it's closed after work and not being able to go out to play. 

Working full time is tough - there's a lot of sacrifices that have to be made and I keep my eye out for chances that I can leave even just 15 minutes earlier. Of course I also have days when I have to work almost an hour later but I guess that's just what I have to do. I'm really grateful to all the lovely supervisors who keep a lookout for me so that work can be enjoyable. It's also great to have more friends at work who can help pass the time and join the bitching about the boss. I'm also pretty hyped that I'll be earning more money this holiday (probably gonna spend most of it soon) and also because work provides a great distraction for me. UAC offers are released in less than 10 days and that's making me jumpy and anxious. I think working full time has also further fuelled the flames of my dream (if that's even possible) since I don't want to be stuck in a 40+ hours per week job that I hate. I don't hate my current work but it's not something I love and tbh it isn't really a good work environment. But for now it's probably the best I can do :')

Anyways makeup and blogging has also proved to be a great distraction so I decided to make a comparison post on a low end vs a high end eyeliner. The two popular eyeliners are the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner and the MAC Fluidline Gel Liner. 
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner MAC Fluidline Review
So despite recently gravitating towards higher end makeup, I'm still very conscious of the money that I spend on makeup. Everyone likes a good deal no matter who they are and I feel that this comparison post would be quite beneficial, especially with the high cost of makeup here in Australia :( 

Both of the eyeliners come in little glass screw tubs which have a good feel to them. The packaging for the Maybelline one isn't bad and it has a similar heavy feel to it, much like the mac one. The lid for the MAC eyeliner feels a bit sturdier and heavier but I've dropped both on wooden floors before (by accident!) and they've both survived intact. 

Currently in Australia I've only see three shades of the Maybelline EyeStudio and those are Blackest Black, Brown and Eggplant though I haven't seen Eggplant for a while. MAC Fluidline comes in around 6 shades which should cover most people's eyeliner needs. I have the black shade for both eyeliners since I like the dramatic look of dark eyeliner. 

Formulation:
Maybelline: The formula is a bit thicker and creamier than the MAC and I think this led to it being a stronger black. It is definitely a dramatic matte black and the creaminess of the formula makes it easy to use. It also comes with a brush which I know some people hate but personally I found that it wasn't that bad. The brush is quite versatile and can create both thick and thin lines easily. My favourite way to apply gel eyeliner is to use a small stiff angled brush as I think it creates a better wing than the Maybelline brush. 

MAC: The formula is very soft and smooth which makes it nicer to apply than the Maybelline. It isn't as thick and clunky either and it has a very "fluid" feel to the liner. It also isn't as dark as the Maybelline liner which looks more natural but a few more swipes can easily bring the pigmentation up to the Maybelline standard. It looks a bit shiny in the pot but it dries down to a complete matte. It doesn't come with a brush which could be annoying for beginners. Personally I prefer using MAC over the Maybelline for every day wear as it's easier to use due to it's fluidness. 

Top line is Maybelline. See how it's a bit creamier and dryer on the edges?
Bottom line is MAC. It's a bit lighter but looks a lot smoother. 

Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner VS MAC Fluidline Swatches

Neither eyeliners work super well on me in terms of being waterproof and smudgeproof. My eyelids are not oily or dry and I always use eye primer when using gel eyeliner. Both eyeliners smudge within a few hours on me, though the MAC is a little less noticeable. The smudging is easy to fix up but it tends to keep happening even after I clean it up. I used to think that the smudging was due to my eye shape but ever since trying (and loving!) liquid eyeliners, I've found that this is not the case. Putting some eyeshadow above the liners to set them also doesn't seem to work for me but it does make them last longer without smudging. 

The MAC Fluidline tends to be better when comparing how waterproof the liners are. The Maybelline one feels like it just gives up once water is splashed on it and rubbed gently. It smudges everywhere once rubbed which makes it a nuisance to clean up. Fluidline resists water a lot better and harder rubbing with the use of makeup remover or oil is needed to clean it up completely. 

Prior to getting the eyeliners, I saw many reviews which claimed that both eyeliners were quite smudgeproof and waterproof. Many also praised MAC Fluidline and I know it's a lot of people's HG eyeliner. I'm a little disappointed that the products didn't seem to live up to the hype for me but nonetheless I still found them to be good eyeliners in general. They both contain 3 grams of product which is quite substantial for an eyeliner and can last a long time, even with daily usage. The Maybelline one started drying out a little bit earlier than the MAC but it's still quite functional even when it's a bit dry. 

Whilst I absolutely prefer liquid eyeliners now, I can't say that I didn't/don't enjoy using gel eyeliners. Gel eyeliner is one of the easiest eyeliners to master and I still reach for my gel liners when I'm in a rush. They can create a much bolder look than pencil eyeliners and the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel liner can mimic the look of a matte liquid eyeliner. Since it comes with a brush, I would highly recommend this to those who are new to eyeliner and/or as a way of experimenting with gel liners. It's also a good budget option and can often be found on sale at chemists and Priceline, making it quite affordable for a quality product. 

For those who have a higher budget or have specific colours they want, I would recommend MAC Fluidline. It definitely feels better on the lids and lasts a little longer. It has quite a natural look for a black eyeliner and I think it's a great product to swipe on when you're in a rush. However the price in Australia is quite steep and I got mine from a friend who travelled to America (THANKS!). The benefit of buying higher end makeup is that you tend to get better service along with the product. The makeup artists at MAC can demonstrate and give quick tips on how to apply the liner for beginners. You can also ask for them to try the liner on before you purchase so that you know how it will last on you. The Maybelline liner comes packaged which means that there isn't a sample to try prior to purchase. 

Repurchase: 
No for both since I've moved on from gel eyeliners but if I were to make a purchase I would prefer MAC Fluidline. 

Price and Availability: 
Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner is $8-18 (depending on sales) at Priceline, Coles or Chemist Warehouse 
MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner is $32 at MAC Cosmetics counters in Myer or David Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)