Wednesday, 28 January 2015

MAC Plumful

This is my first MAC lipstick! I've always seen and heard so much about MAC lipsticks, especially on youtube and blogs. They have an incredibly large selection of colours and it's really a bit overwhelming standing there looking at them all. After that I went home and I looked up a few of the shades that I was interested in haha. Online swatches ftw~
Mac Plumful Lipstick Review My Lips But Better Myer


One of the shades that I ended up choosing (influenced by Sarah from Temporary-Secretary) was Plumful! It's a lustre lipstick which means that the colour payoff is a bit sheer and it always seems to have a soft glossy sheen to it. I know the shade Patisserie is also a really popular lustre lipstick but it seemed a little too nude for my liking. On my slightly pigmented lips, Plumful doesn't look mauve, as it is often described ,but rather a natural dark pink stain which helped add colour to my face.

Mac Plumful Lipstick My Lips But Better Lustre

It's currently one of my favourite lipsticks to use since the formula is so lightweight and moisturising! My previous favourite used to be the Clinique Chubby Stick but I found that it had a tendency to emphasise my fine lip lines and the sheen was a little too shiny. Many have described Plumful to be a "blossoming rose-plum" colour which makes it the perfect lipstick for both day and night use. The great thing about lustre lipsticks is that the colour can be built up to create a stronger lip look for the night time! 

Plumful is a lippie that makes me look and feel polished without being too done up. Seasonally it's also a colour I would use all year round but I think that's more of personal tastes and circumstances. I know a few youtubers who highly recommend it for Autumn/Winter use but truthfully I don't think it's that dark that it can't be worn in Spring/Summer too. Unfortunately though, like all sheer lipsticks, the colour only lasts a few hours max which was a little disappointing as I wanted something that would last longer. I guess next time I'll just have to try the Pro Longwear Cremes line but they seem a little too drying for me. 

I was originally going to make a comparison to Revlon Lip Butters but now that I've experienced Plumful, I don't think it would work. The formulas sound quite similar in writing but they actually feel extremely different on the lips. The closest Lip Butter shade would be Berry Smoothie but Berry Smoothie has a glossier look and is a little more pink than Plumful. Berry Smoothie also has more micro shimmers than Plumful so it looks a lot more glam than Plumful. The MAC formula is also quite creamy and solid whilst the lip butter tends to be quite soft and fluid. 

Mac Plumful Lipstick Review Swatches
Left - MAC Plumful; Right - Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie

Sorry for the bad shot. I took the photo in rather dim natural lighting since nothing else was available. It's still possible to see the similarities/differences between the two lipsticks there though. In artificial lighting the difference is quite noticeable but once again this depends on your original lip pigmentation. I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm hating on Revlon Lip Butters as I do think they're fantastic lipsticks on their own. I just feel that the quality of this MAC lipstick is a bit better and I wanted to compare it to something that was a bit more affordable and accessible. I don't wear lipstick every day but if I found the best colour for me I probably would splurge on it.

Price and Availability: $36 from MAC counters in Myer or David Jones 

Repurchase: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog! I love reading comments so feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can catch up with you too :)